Massacre in a Texas school | Police ‘unfortunate failure’ in Ovaldi

(Austin) Authorities had enough officers at the Ovaldi school shooting scene to arrest the shooter three minutes after he entered the building, and the officers failed to check a locked room door, the Texas Public Security chief argued Tuesday, who said: Police on May 24 as “a fiasco.”

Posted at 11:46 a.m.
Updated at 1:11 PM.

Jim Vertuno and Jake Bleiberg
News agency

Instead, police armed with rifles circled around for about an hour before finally storming into the classroom and shooting the gunman who had just killed 19 children and two teachers.

However, it turned out that the door to this classroom could not be locked from the inside, and there is no indication that the police tried to open it, while the shooter was inside, testified by Colonel Steve McCraw, Texas State Department Administrator. Public Safety. Instead, he said, the police waited for the key. “Why didn’t you check the handle to see if the door was really locked?” asked the official at the state level.

Colonel Macro was testifying Tuesday at a Texas Senate hearing about the police response to the May 24 tragedy at Ovaldi School. Delays in the law enforcement response have been investigated by the federal government, the Texas government, and local government.

“Obviously not enough training was given in this case, the plain and simple. Ovaldi School District Police Chief Pete Arredondo because the terrible decisions were made by the commander on site,” McCraw said of Ovaldi School District Police Chief Pete Arredondo.

Eight minutes after the shooter stormed the school, an officer indicated that police had a claw that could be used to break down the classroom door, McCroe said. The witness said that nineteen minutes after the shooter entered the building, the police first entered the ballistic shield.

Mr. Macro told the Senate committee that Pete Arredondo had decided to put the lives of police officers over the lives of children.

The state’s director of public safety listed on the Senate committee on Tuesday a series of missed opportunities, miscommunication, and other errors that day:

  • Chief Arredondo did not have a radio;
  • The police and mayor’s radios were not working inside the school; Only the radios of the border guards on the site worked inside and did not work well.
  • Some of the school charts the police used to coordinate their intervention were wrong.

Questions about police intervention began a few days after the murder. Macro said three days after the shooting that leader Arredondo made the “wrong decision” when he chose not to break into class for more than 70 minutes. Meanwhile, fourth graders trapped in two classrooms were calling 911 for help, and parents afflicted outside the school were begging the police to enter the school.

Mr. Arredondo later clarified that he did not consider himself the person in charge that day – he assumed that someone else had taken charge of the intervention. He declined repeated requests from the Associated Press for comment on the case.

As for the time that elapsed before the police entered the classroom, Mr McCraw believes that “in an active shooting environment, it is intolerable that […] It set our profession back a decade.”

In the days and weeks following the shootings, authorities gave conflicting and incorrect accounts of what happened, sometimes retracting statements hours after they were made. But Macro assured lawmakers on Tuesday that everything he witnessed was “certain”.

The 18-year-old shooter used an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

With contributions from Jamie Stengle, in Dallas

#Massacre #Texas #school #Police #unfortunate #failure #Ovaldi

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.