(Ottawa) regrets the “speculative” coverage of the gang rape allegations of eight former Canadian Hockey League (CHL) players, and the former CEO of Hockey Canada swore that we never wanted to “disguise” the alleged attack. The athletes targeted in the lawsuit did not spend a penny of their money to settle the case out of court.
Posted at 4:29 PM.
Updated at 5:03 PM.
In his opening remarks to the Canadian Heritage Standing Committee on Monday, outgoing chief executive of Hockey Canada, Tom Rainey, said the organization did not seek to “lose the matter.”
He was accompanied by Scott Smith, President and Chief Operating Officer of Hockey Canada, Dave Andrews, President of Hockey Canada, and attorney Andrew Winton. However, the latter did not have the right to speak to elected officials during this committee session.
On April 20, a young woman sued for 3.55 million, including 2 million in past and future monetary damages and 1 million in punitive damages, against eight former Canadian Hockey League (CHL) players, against the league itself and against hockey. Canada.
However, the organization learned very quickly about the alleged facts, which date back to the night of 18 to 19 June, it was reported. Journalism. This was confirmed by Tom Rainey to the elected committee members, saying that he was informed of the incident on June 19, 2018.
As for police authorities, they were alerted “between 6pm and 7pm” on the evening of June 19, Scott Smith said, to his right.
Not a penny of the players
In response to questions from Liberal Anthony Housefather, who appeared surprised by the revelation, Scott Smith said the out-of-court settlement check was signed by Hockey Canada “on behalf of all defenders” – implying that the hockey players involved paid nothing.
And about the identity of the athletes, the organization says it does not know.
Smith argued, if we knew the number on their shirt, it was very likely that we would punish these players, relying on the alleged victim’s will not to recognize his attackers.
At the committee table, we were concerned. Because these so-called strikers can now be players on a National Hockey League (NHL) or MLS team. They can be coaches. Elected officials raised the anonymity granted to them under a confidentiality agreement unacceptable.
The gang rape allegedly occurred in London, Ontario, hours after a party held by Hockey Canada on the sidelines of her organization’s annual golf tournament.
Another revelation – and a contradiction – made elected officials jump. Tom Rainey and Scott Smith skate in response to a question from New Democratic Representative Peter Julian, who asked them how many players they met as part of an independent internal poll conducted by Henein Hutchison LLP.
The first said they were four or six.
The second contradicted him by saying that this number was higher, and that “12 or 13” players were met by company investigators.
The alleged victim, now 24, accuses the young players, some of whom have just won gold at the Junior World Championships with the Canadian national team, of assaulting her in a hotel room at breakfast in the morning.
TSN reporter Rick Westhead was first to report the case, citing the 18-page lawsuit filed in the Ontario Superior Court. document that Journalism Since then, neither the young woman nor her attackers have been identified.
Asked to rate how many allegations of sexual misconduct has become known to Canada hockey in recent years, Scott Smith estimated that “one or two cases per year” have occurred “in the past five to six years.”
On April 20, 2022, the day the plaintiff’s lawsuit was filed, Tom Rainey announced his resignation.
Coincidence, he said at the committee table. “There is no connection,” he said frankly.
St-Onge Appearance Is Coming
The Minister of Sports, Pascal Saint-Hung, will appear before the committee at the end of the afternoon.
In early June, it asked Hockey Canada, an organization that receives federal funding, to submit a financial audit to it to determine whether the organization was using taxpayer money to conduct an out-of-court settlement with the victim.
“I want to know if taxpayer money was used to cover up this gang rape story,” she said when announcing the opening of this investigation.
On Monday, the House of Commons committee was supposed to hear from the former first deputy head of insurance and risk management within the union, Glenn McCurdy, but the latter withdrew for personal reasons.
The Quebec Bloc, the party behind these sessions, was told that the committee could send them an invitation.
With Simon-Olivier Lorange, Guillaume Lefrançois and Joël-Denis Bellavance, Journalism
#Sexual #assault #allegations #Canadian #Hockey #Agency #denies #cover #case